Thursday, June 30, 2016

Honor At Stake by Declan Finn

I'll admit that I'm a fan of some Catholic themed fiction.  I love Michael O'Brien's books, and even works that may not be overtly Catholic like Canticle for Leibowitz, or Past Master.  Like Tolkein, the latter are informed by the faith of the author, and it's reflected in the work where O'Brien's are deeply spiritual works.  I especially love them if they are in a genre where you don't typically find them.  The sci-fi compilations of Karina Fabian, Ad Limina, O'Brien's Voyage to Alpha Centauri, and of I'll give much due to Lewis' Space Trilogy, though I know it is not specifically Catholic.  Those along with Val Bianco's Sons of Cain, and Finn's other works, specifically the Pius Man trilogy are worthy action thrillers.  I think all of these will eventually find a review here, but I can recommend them all.

I also enjoy William Biersach's Father Baptist series, about a traditional priest who is a former cop and solves mysteries in a "fictional" Los Angeles with his arthritic gardener Martin Feeney.  In that series, I saw a Catholic take on ghosts and vampires, and was enthralled.  I want more.

With the first book I will review on this blog, Honor at Stake, by Declan Finn, I definitely got it.  I must refrain from giving away too much here as I don't want to spoil this for you.  Yes, you will wink and smirk at the reference to sparkling vampires, and you will begin this book assuming you know the story, but you won't know the half of it.  What you will find is one of the best additions to the vampire mythos in recent times.  If vampirism is a disease, as it is in much of gothic or vampire literature, then one can't help becoming one at times.  However, Finn's take on the state of a vampire's body and soul is the best I've seen.  They can also be tragic figures, as portrayed in the Kindred series in the 1990's, where there were different "clans" and the Nosferatu clan leader is artistic, but leader of a diseased clan and surely a tragic figure who strives for good as much as he is able.  Along with a story that will give you action, romance, and suspense, as much as any summer popcorn blockbuster is able to, you will find characters you care about.  They are not one dimensional, because they are not what you expect.  They are complicated, they are not perfect, and in short, they are human.  Without possibly intending to ask the big question of what it is to be human, we get a roadmap to possibly what will make us realize our fullest potential as a human.  That of course is how closely we can align ourselves to that of Our Savior and how much we will share in His Blood, which he gave for our salvation.

I can't recommend this as a teen read, though I will be reading it to my teens and censoring the few comments or scenes where characters passions are made known to the reader.  Nothing immoral mind you, just thoughts and situations that you might want to read before letting your children take part.  Having said that, I will recommend this for those who like Dean Koontz, or Biersach, or if you like secular horror thrillers (vampire and zombie hunting stories and the like).  You will want more, and I think Finn sets us up for more.  It's imaginative, and plays to an audience that is ripe for a work like this.  I can picture teens who love the glut of vampire or "fallen" romances out there liking this, and finding some seeds planted that may take later for them.  At least they'll find themselves asking bigger questions as they read it.

But as a summer read, or even better, fall read you will find it very satisfying.  I always say about the popcorn blockbuster that there has to be payoff.  If it is a modern trope that goes no where it leaves you feeling empty as if you wasted the time spent with it.  If the good guys win, heroes are made or born, and the morality of the universe is kept right side up, then it's worthy of your time, and Honor at Stake is surely worthy of your time.

Addendum:  Thank you to the Author, Declan Finn for picking up on my review here:  He said:  "I think he liked it".  I did, very much.  Now I'll impatiently wait for the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment